Monday, February 28, 2011

Money Saving Monday--the challenge (2/28)

Let the challenge begin! Today starts the Month challenge of shopping at only one food store (Darrenkamps) while spending only $20 per person per week on food.

Actually, I did today's food shopping yesterday. I wanted to hit Darrenkamps for Chicken. Our supply was getting low. It was on sale last week and not on sale (or at least not listed in the flyer for this week). So, I went ahead and did it on Sunday instead of my normal Monday. I don't like to food shop on Sundays. But, I didn't want to pass up that savings. Plus, they had some fruit on sale that we wanted this past week.

I bought more than my $60 worth of food this week. But, we stocked up on a few things. I got stuff to make homemade items this week that I am putting in the freezer for us for the next week or two or three. So, I think it will even itself out over the month.

We will see. I must say though I got a lot of food for what I paid and even bought some organic. It wasn't a bad shopping trip--as good as shopping on Sunday can get. I prefer to shop on Mondays. But, after Sunday's trip I do have some ground to make up over the next few weeks. This should be interesting.

I heard that people want to hear more of what we are eating while on this challenge. So, here you go...
Sunday Night's Dinner:
BBQ Grilled Chicken
Salad
Homemade Applesauce--made just today.
Grillin' Baked Beans
Homemade Bread
*NOTE: We usually don't have that many sides.* Does anyone want a weekly menu for our Dinners? If I hear a yes please, I will post. If not, I will just throw them on here when I think of it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, H. I did a post just for you. I don't think mine are too inspirational though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...I'm glad that you are still coming to dinner with us on Saturday even though it's going to mess up your budget! I hope it's coming out of your entertainment budget or something other than your itty bitty grocery budget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are going to TRY and take it from the food budget as that is the bucket that it should come from. But, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete