Monday, March 7, 2011

Money Saving Monday- The $20 Challenge

So, wondering how this shopping at only one store is going. I'm frustrated a bit. Not because I can't get good deals. I feel like I have found lots of great deals and gotten lots of healthy food for what we have paid. However, when I see deals where I could pay $1.00 for 5 boxes of cereal, it stinks! (I MIGHT cave just for that!) But, we don't really NEED cereal.

I am determined still to make this work. I will admit we went to Costco and I picked up 4 items. Coffee, lettuce, peanut butter, and fish. That killed my budget. But, we wouldn't make it to the end of March without picking up the coffee and it's cheapest there. (At least from what I have found) The romaine lettuce is also cheapest there. It's a seriously good deal at $3.99 for 6 heads. Peanut butter I have not found that it's the best deal, but it's the kind my husband likes. The fish--they had a sample of it and the whole family liked it. It was a decent deal. Not the deal I got at Darrenkamps, but decent and since there was no complaints about it, we got some. I debated hard about that purchase.

So, where am I at in this journey of $20 per week per person? Well, glad you asked. I am hanging in there. When is say hanging in there, I do mean hanging-by a thread.

We went out to eat this weekend with a group of amazing friends. The time with them was so worth it. But, can I say HUGE dent in the budget. Yes, we are trying to do this even with going out to eat. But, I figured what I have left the rest of the month for food and everything is going to be SUPER tight. We don't have $20 per person left for each of the weeks. But, I have done some buying ahead (not easy on this budget). If I can make it on what we have left, it will shock even me. Wondering what I have left per week? Let's just say it's really becoming more like the $20 challenge.

Like I said, I am not caving on how we eat. (Fresh fruit and veggies are a huge part of our snacks and breakfasts and lunches). You all know what we are eating for dinners, since I am posting that. I will be getting creative with my stock up items and I already have a general dinner plan for the rest of the month. So, I face the challenge head on. If I fail, I will fail trying my hardest!

The bonus to this challenge, we are wasting less food. Meaning we are wasting almost nothing and that's a good thing!

Anyone out there trying to do this with me? How are you making out?? Inspire us all.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you are doing this challenge, you are amazing! Especially if you are still eating healthy foods. Does your budget include your "household grocery expenses" like laundry detergent, paper towels...or personal items like deodorant or medicine? Or is it only food expenses? Do you include your eating out budget in that?

    I'm doing the "only shop at one store" rule because like you said, I'll know the store inside and out. Giant is less than a mile from me, so I go there. Currently I'm doing their spend $100 in frozen foods and get $25 back....I haven't cooked all month!! It's kindof gross how many frozen pizzas and hot pockets we've eaten, but the break of not cooking in nice! lol

    ReplyDelete