Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mom Time-The Mission of Motherhood Chapter 4

The focus of this Chapter: The Servant Mother-Mothering with the Heart of Jesus

She wrote a quote in this chapter that deserves a post. "If you want to be great in God's kingdom, learn to be the servant of all!"

There was also a discussion about the way we respond to our kids and how that gives us the best chance of winning their hearts. It's so true. Yes, we all fall short sometimes and wish we would have responded differently in situations. I've felt that pain before, not just with my child but with others as well. However, by making the repsonses to everyday things something that is my priority, I will help win his heart. I want my child to have intergrity, honesty, patience, love for others, the list goes on. But, if I want him to show those things, they must be modeled to him. If I approach him with a servants heart and show him those small things in everyday life, I have a far better chance of influencing him to do the same.

I can say, that being a Mom has always been my hearts desire. I want to let Little Man know every single day that he is loved, cared for and valued. That none of those come with conditions. I want him to know that he has unconditional love from me. I think that is important.

I look daily to truly reach Little Man's heart. I know that to do that, I have to model the behaviors, character, and values I want him to have. I need to lead him, not by just telling him, but by showing him. Sometimes it is easier to tell than to show, isn't it?

I believe in putting my family first and Little Man's needs above my own. I don't view this as bad. Quite the opposite, it's an honor to have Little Man to do that for. An honor to be raising him and being his Mom. I think sometimes the pain that I have been through, makes me view motherhood differently. Not different in a bad way or better way, just different. I find my perspective on things can be different sometimes from the "normal" masses. (Not saying my different is better--I want to make that perfectly clear!)

To me being a servant mother is an honor and what I strive to do daily. I realize that I am a work in progress and I am open to the fact that God is not finished with me yet. I am thankful that when I fall short, I am forgiven.

How about you? What did you take away from this chapter? Do you struggle with being a Servant Mother? How many of you are following along in this book reading? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment