Saturday, March 3, 2012

I started the Vegan Challenge on Wednesday (2/22) for Lent

and I must say, it's going pretty good so far.

I eat healthy normally, but this vegan challenge makes you so much more aware of what is in your food. I am paying much closer attention than usual to the additive list and I did pay attention before. Did I mention I am also giving up coffee for these 46 days? Yep, but I am allowing myself tea, a trade off I suppose?
Question that I got and felt I could answer for everyone on here.
Do you think you will be Vegan after the 46 days? No, I doubt it, but I do think that I will encorporate more vegan meals into my families diet. As well as more vegan recipes.

Why are you doing this now? It's for Lent. This is what I choose this year. I'm not going vegan or anything. Though there is nothing wrong with people eating vegan, gluten free, etc. Everyone has the right to choose what works for them.

Now, what you all have been waiting for....

Epic Fails:
1. Falafel. Both little man and I agree this is not something we like. Not at all! But, don't let that stop you, you might find it yummy and not near as gross as we do. I didn't make them, I bought them. Maybe if I did make them and tried a different recipe we would feel differently about them. I don't think I can bring myself to do it right now. Sorry Falafel lovers--this goes on our epic fail list.
2. Some beans that were canned. They had seasoning on them, were on sale, fell into the vegan category, but were gross.

Yummy Goodness:
1. Vegan brownies. I made them and they were yummy! Now, that's saying something. YUM! Even my husband agreed. Stating who knew Vegan could taste so good. :) I think this was the first time I made brownies from scratch. I usually just do boxed brownies. But, I do make cookies from scratch.
2. The pure goodness of fresh fruit for breakfast. Yummy! I do love my fruit.
3. Veggies, Veggies everywhere! :)
4. Vegan Burgers--they are pretty good.  Now, I like veggie burgers but a lot of them have eggs in them. So, they were off the list and that meant that I had to try the vegan kind. For the record, I do like the veggie ones more!
5.  Deep Dish Cinnamon Roll Pie I made a yummy peanut butter frosting for it. Ok, not typical, but we love peanut butter around here. I used natural peanut butter, powdered sugar, Silk Vanilla Almond milk to make it, with a splash of pure vanilla. I didn't say it was healthy, I said it was yummy!
6. Brown Rice and Veggie Stir Fry
7. Soy Pizza, It's not bad. It's not regular pizza, but the sauce on it was really yummy!
8. Getting creative with beans and finding other ways to add protein into your meals...it's a challenge and yet it's kind of fun to be challenged in this way. At least this way, I have an excuse to be challenged in the kitchen.

So, there is a short update and much over do. More another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment