Monday, January 16, 2012

Let's Start the day with cookies?

Sounds great, right? Well, let me tell you. If you are thinking sugar filled cookies, you are wrong.
You want to start the day with a good grain and some fruit and some yummy goodness! If that is the idea, then yes, these cookies will be right up your alley.
These come from Chocolate Covered Katie. If you have not been to her website and enjoy eating healthy you are missing out! :) I've never met her and just started reading her blog/website. But, I can tell you. It's bookmarked and I will refer to it often! SHE ROCKS!
oat cookies
Photo from Chocolate Covered Katie
Oatmeal-Raisin Breakfast Cookies * My adaptions in bold.*
(gluten-free!)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I did about 3/4 cup)
  • scant 1/2 cup applesauce or over-ripe banana (mashed) I used slightly over 1/2 cup applesauce.
  • 1/4 cup nut butter (I used salted pb) I used all natural unsalted peanut butter! It was just the ground peanut kind. No added anything. Pure and simple.
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon More of 1/2tsp I LOVE cinnamon!!!
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 T raisins (or other dried fruit, or even chocolate chips) I used 3 heaping Tbsp.
  • pinch salt if desired (taste the dough to decide)
  • 1 packet stevia (or 1 tablespoon sugar. I actually omitted this altogether. If you have absolutely no sweet tooth, you can try it that way. And if you have a huge sweet tooth—or are used to “non-healthy-tasting” desserts—try adding 1/4 cup sugar. As I said above, don’t expect these to taste like your everyday oatmeal-raisin cookies. I’ll post a recipe for those soon!) NO SUGAR ADDED or needed for me. Not even a tsp! :)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mash the banana with the nut butter, then add all other ingredients and mix until well-combined. Shape into cookies and bake for around 14 minutes. (Alternatively, you can try pulverizing the raisins and oats before combining them with the banana mixture, if you want more sweetness.) I would say 12 min will work.
This recipe yields around 12 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment